Here’s the situation.. you installed SSL cert on a website in IIS. You think you don’t need that site anymore and delete the site from IIS. The moment you delete it, you bite your tounge and remember that you are supposed to back up the SSL cert for future purposes.. But since the site has been deleted from IIS, you cannot export the key from the IIS manager!!.
Thx to Microsoft’s oversight (or potentially by design), you can still recover the certificate from the server.. Here’s how
- Open a MMC console by typing “mmc” in the Start –> Run prompt
- In the MMC console, click on File -> Add/Remove Snap-in
- In the “Add/Remove Snap-in” window, click on Add
- Choose the “certificate” snap-on and click on Add.
- Choose Computer Account in the certificate snap-on window and click on Next.
- Choose “Local Computer” (Note : If you want to recover from a remote computer, you can put in the UNC path. But you need to have admin rights on that machine) and click on Finish.
- Click on close and go back to the MMC console
- You will see all the certificates installed on the server
- Expand the “personal certificates” folder and you will see the SSL certificate from the website you deleted from IIS. Follow standard steps to export the certificate.
Yes this will help you get your SSL Certificates back on your computer.
If the certificate *.p7b was created from a CSR (CSR was initiated from IIS7), imported by completion of the Certification request and then removed, this guide will restore the certificate in the mmc, “Personal Certificates” folder, from where it is possible to export the certificate.However, often you can only export p7b certificate. This cannot be imported to IIS7 because you are missing the certificate password.
I recommend to call you certificate supplier and kindly ask if he could create another certificate from the new CSR.
on win 10 screwed up and deleted few certs did the steps but i went to personal like said in steps and there is nothing there empty folder mainly its closing out a apps page on facebook deleted the certs in hopes of getting this one facebook app to stop auto posting stuff i didnt do and when that didnt work and lost this i did system restore and that didnt help
can’t restore my ssl certs. after accidentally deleting them. How do you restore them? These were from a Toshiba satelitte a25 laptop running win xp
John – Did you try to connect to the local computer certificates?