Scratchpad for ideas (that I happen to have too many of 🙂 ). Unfortunately, I haven’t been disciplined so far in implementing them. Documenting them here so that I have a list to work through or hopefully they provide inspiration to some random visitor.
Most of the ideas are centered around technology because that is what I love and work in.
- Build a multi threaded application to ping top 1 Million popular websites listed by
Amazon AlexaMajestic (https://blog.majestic.com/development/alexa-top-1-million-sites-retired-heres-majestic-million/). Want to do this to
- Utilize multiple technologies (language, database, os, hosting provider etc) to come up with a cost effective way to craw 1 million sites.
- Bring down the cost and speed to do this so that it can be done on a regular basis (daily) and develop some analytics from the data collected through the pings.
- I believe there is an existing commercial service that does this already.. but can’t find the link now :).
- Build a website to gather data around when you have a drink. Tag the cost of the drink to a hypothetical investment in the S&P 500 index fund and see how much drinking is costing over time 🙂